Procedures Resource Center Plastic Surgeon Info Contact Us Forum Blog Videos Home



Tiff’s Story

  • Breast Augmentation


My Breast Augmentation story...not trying to scare anyone, just telling it like it was for me!


I had pretty much always had BA in the back of my mind from the time that everyone else got their boobies and I never really did! I grew up in a family of mostly women all of whom were VERY well endowed. I somehow got left out in the boob department, I like to say that being the youngest, there just wasn't any left to get after everyone else got theirs! Any way you can imagine that my teen years were full of small boob jokes and I was teased right up until I had my daughter and got wonderfully full of milk! Sadly that doesn't last, and when the milk went...EVERYTHING went! I didn't have any to spare as it was!


I spent the next few years researching breast augmentation and considering my options. I had decided to have a BA about 2 years ago, but life got in the way and the timing just wasn’t right and I had to wait. In October of '07 I decided that I was going to have the surgery after the New Year. It was my New Years resolution to do the one thing for myself that I had waited so long to do. I waited to get through the holidays and in January I started my consults. My second PS ended up being the right choice and I put my deposit down and was scheduled for surgery 3 weeks later on March 28, 2008. The weeks leading up to surgery went so fast...nesting, shopping for supplies, and freaking out over size, complications, etc. I was undecided on size up to the day of surgery, but had it narrowed down to a couple of size options.


The night before surgery I was nervous, but so excited. I was ready to get in there and get it over with! Surprisingly enough I was able to get up and have my husband up and ready to go right on schedule. I arrived at the surgery center at 7:15, and was scheduled for surgery at 8:00 A.M.  I was called back right away, and as soon as I was, I got so nervous I thought I was going to pass out!  I got changed into my lovely gown, hat, and booties, and was off for my pre-op workup. While I waited for my plastic surgeon, I got my antibiotic and my 'happy pills' as the nurse called them.  And they worked FAST!  We had started to try on the sizers - because I was still unsure of what I wanted. By the time my PS came in I was a bit fuzzy and giddy. I decided to go for the bigger implants in the end, 480 ccs. saline partial under the muscle. Now, it could have been those 'happy pills' that made me choose the bigger size... who knows, but I am SO glad I did.  I know I wouldn’t have been happy with the smaller size now.   I had a nice chat with the PS, albeit a drugged and somewhat foggy chat!  Got my lovely markings and was sent for my before pictures and straight to the OR.


From there on it was a blur.  It was absolutely freezing in there and I started shivering immediately! 

The staff seemed to come out of nowhere once I sat on that table!  My nurse from earlier strapping me down, another scrubbing me up, and another, who introduced herself as my anesthetist( like it mattered then, I was already wasted!) and went to work.  I was out for the count and then I woke up with what appears to be boobs...and out like a light again!


The ride home I do not really recall.  Just a lot of pain, nausea, and irritation with my husband!  Back home I went straight to bed, and woke up what seemed like 12 hours later even though it was probably 30 minutes, and then proceeded to vomit.  After I thought I had made it without that nasty little side effect!  But at least I made it home and didn’t do it in the car!  I am so glad I had the anti nausea meds, as grossed out as I had been over the thought of a suppository, it saved me that day!!  My poor husband was white as a ghost watching me because he didn’t know how to help me...and there really wasn't any way.  If I hadn't been in so much pain I would have felt sorry for the guy!


I had a really hard time the first 24 hours...I was not on a pain pump and the pills were not working so well!  Thank God for having the Plastic Surgeon’s cell number.  I had severe back pain and I cried a lot!  The next day I woke up and felt as though I had a large child sitting on my chest and the swelling was out of control!  Luckily I slept most of the days away for the rest of the weekend.


My husband took care of all the post operative phone calls and check in’s with the plastic surgeon.  I had very minimal bruising, but some pretty significant swelling, that lasted for about 4 weeks after. It got better and better as the days progressed and I became mobile again!  My post operative visits all went very well - and I got back to my normal...much improved self! 


My hubby aka massage therapist/caretaker/bather/groomer/housekeeper, lots of meds, ginger-ale, strawberry Fruit Newtons, and cheese is what got me through all the REALLY rough days! I owe so much to my family for all the help, with my daughter and everything else.  I couldn't have done it without them!


Next chapter is the size madness, the bra shopping madness, the all out BOOB OBSESSION!  But that's a whole other story, I will just say I went through a bit of post operative depression that passed as things became more normal looking and settled in, and once I stopped my meds. I still have my days where I battle the thought of going bigger and all of that insanity, but I could not be happier with my results overall! I can only hope that if and when I have them redone they turn out as awesome as these babies have!


Time really flew by after surgery and before I knew it had been 6 months!  It is honestly the best decision I have ever made and I am so much happier, confident, and more comfortable with my body. Breast Augmentation is definitely a learning process and has tested every ounce of patience I have had start to finish!  I would do it all over again in a heartbeat...and more than likely will!   All I can say is...I have boobs and life is good!!




Breast Augmentation Date: 3/28/08

Implant Size:  480ccs, saline, partial unders

Pre Op: A cup

Post Op:  DD/E/DDD depending on the bra!

Patient Stats:  5'3" 100lbs


Back to Member Stories